Sunday, October 28, 2012

BRIS-VEGAS!!



Day 5 (Thursday)

A late night didn’t hold us back. By 10am we were in the waters surfing again. The paddle out seemed like miles, but hey, it was a good workout. Once we were past the break, I realized I was the only girl. Cha ching, props to me! Though, I will admit, I couldn’t keep up with the boys. All the guys were tearing it up and I was tired, a bit hung over, and am really just not that great of a surfer. Even with all that, I was having a blast. It’s always fun being in the water even if you don’t catch a wave all day. It’s very peaceful to sit on your board bobbing up and down and gazing off into the never ending blue. The ocean looks like it goes on forever. There are always a few small chats with the surfers around you, but really it’s all about the connection between you and nature.


Around one we headed south searching for more waves. We checked out a few beaches, but nothing was breaking well so we settled with an hour nap on the beach. After being well rested we hit the road and Bris-vegas here we come!! We rolled into the city looking fly in our hippie-mobile. A few U-turns later we found ourselves outside Rhyannon’s apartment. Meeting Rhyannon is a cool, but goofy story. I met her in the airport in Cairo. We chatted for awhile and were on the same flight from Cairo to Bangkok and then Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur. We exchanged facebook information on the slight chance we’d cross paths again. Sure enough she was our connection in Brissy. It was amazing hanging out with her! We both were still in awe that we were together again. Rhyannon is a very generous, great sheila. She grew up in a small town a few hours north of Brisbane and now is going to school in the city. Her apartment was gorgeous! It had an amazing view of the skyline. We chatted it up and then grabbed some grub.

That night we met some of her friends and pre-gamed in the apartment. Not long after, we were strutting down the streets of Brisbane. We had walked out of reality and into a 90’s movie. I felt as if I was an extra on “10 Things I Hate About You” or “SLC Punks”. The east cost style is separated into three categories. You have the hipsters of Melbourne, the classy and stylish Sydney, and the 90’s grunge of Brisbane. The bars were even playing to 90’s music too! Rhyannon said it was just the bar, but I’m a tad bit skeptical of that idea;  I thought it was most of the city. We danced and danced until sweat covered our faces and then continued to dance. After awhile we popped in a taxi ready to pass out. The next morning was a short goodbye and Cole and I were off to Bryon Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment