Saturday, September 1, 2012

I'm a bum!


Since I’ve been in Melbourne, I’ve been grungier and dirtier than I’ve ever thought possible, and that’s saying a lot! I bought a beanie so I can cover my hair and shower less. Half our lunches come from free food from random clubs on campus. We have started dumpster diving for food. We’ll go to the back of grocery stores and jump in the huge bins to grab all the food they threw out that day. This will be anything from candy bars to strawberries to bread. On our first trip, we got 30 kg of potatoes! Thankfully there were 6 different households so no one was stuck eating potatoes for days! We’ve also discovered “hard rubbish”. Every couple of months, each neighborhood has a large trash pickup. Every home puts all their unwanted furniture, bikes, tools, pictures, and whatnot on the curb. You name it, they’ve got it! They put it out on Sunday and the trash man doesn’t come until later in the week. People now search the neighborhoods rummaging through junk to find things to salvage. We scored some Halloween props (pick axe, saws, and a hoe) and some awesome, retro posters for our room.

No comments:

Post a Comment